Zainab “Daby” Faidhi is a Conceptual artist, Illustrator and Architect. Daby’s work spans Animation, Illustration, and Painting.
Daby developed her passion towards architectural drawings through her BA study but she had chosen Animation as a more experimental, flexible medium and platform. Where she discovered herself more to showcases her interaction with life and generate authentic ideas that tell stories that also resonate emotionally with the audience. Her architectural background provides acute observations of everyday life, a unique sense of space and nostalgia-qualities that she applies as a concept artist. She has a real passion for the small details and set design that characterise each place she visits.
Worked on several short film projects that have won international awards, as well as the Student Academy Award. Cartoon Saloon's The Breadwinner was her first feature film, where she took part in backgrounds paintings, set, props’ design and conceptual art.
Daby is currently based in Los angeles, available for full-time and freelance jobs!
Awards and Certificates
- Annie Awards Nominee/ Best Production Design The Breadwinner 2018
- MA-Character Animation Design/ University of Arts London/Central Saint Martins 2015 (Distinction)
- BA-Architecture Engineering/ University of Jordan 2009
- Baghdad International Film Festival 2016-First Price
- Oscar-Student Academy Award 2016 ( Collaboration for Concept Design with Director Ahmad Saleh) Ayny/ My Second Eye, Foreign Animation Gold Medal
- Nova Award Nomination 2015-Nominated for best student's work
- AnimArte! Animation Festival, Brazil 2015 -First Price-Cultures category.
- Adobe Design Achievement Awards 2015 -SemiFinalist-Best film
Animation Festivals Participation:
- Stuttgart animation festival 2015-Das Herz von Stuttgart und andere Städte im Animationsfilm/ The Heart of Stuttgart and other cities in animated film.
- BAA-British Animation Awards -Shortlisted best student film
- Festival Visualizane, Spain
- Animasyros, Greece 2015
- Reanimania 2015
- BIAF, South Korea 2015
- Arkansas Shorts Festival 2016
- Life After Oil Festival-Italy 2017
- Women Make Waves Festival, Taiwan 2017
- Featured Director at Cinema Invisible NYC, 2017
- Shanasheel IRAQI CULTURAL FESTIVAL, Australia 2017
- les nuits magiques 2015
- Les Plus Petit Festival 2017